Apartment Leases During Winter Weather Damage
If your apartment or rental property experienced any damage due to the winter storm here are a few helpful hints:
- If you have renter’s insurance, file a claim. Take pictures and videos of your personal possessions that were damaged.
- Put all repair requests in writing. If you call the repairs in to the office or speak to someone in person, send a follow up email summarizing the verbal report. Most leases require repair requests to be in writing. Be sure to keep a record of these requests.
- If the landlord does not make repairs within a reasonable number of days considering availability of labor and materials, contact Student Legal Services. Have a copy of your lease agreement available for review as well as your record of repair requests.
- Typically rent and utilities will not be reduced and hotel expenses will not be reimbursed, unless the landlord agrees in writing.
- If you need assistance with temporary housing, food or supplies, contact Student Assistance Services at email@example.com.